Sunday, March 18, 2012

Poem Sunday 4

I've been out of town for much of the last week-and-a-half, taking some much-needed rest and family time. It's nice to be back, gearing up for the last couple of months of school.

The poem below is one of my favorites. I've been thinking of a friend of mine who recently reminded me that "we are the people we've been waiting for." If there's something that needs to be said, someone (or a group) whose been ignored or pushed aside, whose voice needs to be heard, and you don't hear it - say it. Say it with respect for all of the voices that need to be heard, with gratitude for those who want to listen, with patience for those who don't realize how they are culpable for the silence, with confidence for those who say it needn't be heard, with courage for those who say it shouldn't, and with reverence for the beauty and wonder of this life.

Peace.

Refusing Silence, by Tess Gallagher

Heartbeat trembling
your kingdom
of leaves
near the ceremony
of water, I never
insisted on you. I admit
I delayed. I was the Empress
of Delay. But it can't be
put off now. On the sacred branch
of my only voice - I insist.
Insist for us all,
which is the job
of the voice, and especially
of the poet. Else
what am I for, what use
am I if I don't
insist?
There are messages to send.
Gatherings and songs.
Because we need
to insist. Else what are we
for? What use
are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment