Thursday, March 22, 2012

New Online Resource!!! (and a request)

Very exciting evening!!!

I had a conversation this evening with a couple of friends about a new online resource we are working on, and I am really excited to share it here. Okay, so the resource doesn't yet exist (this was just our first conversation), but the wheels are turning, so I'm posting to solicit some help....

A handful of friends and I, who all love the church and want to help make it a more affirming place for sexual minorities, have started working on an online resource that addresses some of the questions we've seen raised in the church. Basically, it's a way to help educate people in the church about stuff that we think is important for the care of queer folks.

As we begin the process of getting the site off the ground, we are trying to build content; one part of that content is questions people may have about things related to sexual minorities. For example, I've had people in the past ask me what the "T" in LGBT means (does it mean "transvestite" or "transsexual" or "transgender," and what is the difference between those things?). I've had other people ask about how to refer to a significant other of a gay man or lesbian, or whether it's appropriate to ask someone if they identify as a man or woman, or how I understand what the Bible says about homosexuality. Other people have asked about how to help their church to be more intentional about being "welcoming" to sexual minorities, or who wonder about what it means to be welcoming.

So, here's where I need your help. If you have a question, any question, about anything related to sexual minorities, please post it in the comments section of this post. No need to identify yourself - you can post anonymously. I likely won't answer the question here, but will add it to a list of other questions we're compiling for the site. Or, if you have heard other questions, or have seen issues raised that need to be addressed, please post them.

I'm so excited about this that I could do cartwheels (and, trust me, that is quite an aerobic feat - I haven't done a cartwheel since middle school).

No comments:

Post a Comment